3D Artist is an invaluable guide to the world of 3D, whether you are a budding artist or experienced professional. Each issue goes behind the scenes on the latest movies, talks to the most talented 3D artists and features the hottest new technologies. But that's just the start because 3D Artist is committed to showcasing the finest work being produced by the 3D community, with the Gallery that showcases amazing images to the tutorials and Q&A where inspiring artists share their workflow and skills. Each issue also contains a CD packed full of models, textures, software and accessories, making 3D Artist the complete package for anyone who appreciates 3D.
In this issue...
Design & create exosuits
Master an exosuit with 3ds Max & Photoshop
- id Software's Matthew Burke reveals the art of designing and creating awesome mech suits in an incredible 7-page tutorial.
Model perfect assets in Rhino
- We welcome Rhino 3D software to 3D Artist with a fantastic tutorial on how NURBS can be used to create custom arch-vis assets.
Create epic landscapes in Vue
- Vue expert Drea Horvath leads a step-by-step guide to building dense terrains that look good enough to be mistaken for photos.
50 tips for better characters
- 15 experts share their top tricks to help you master your own unique creations in our inspiring tips feature.
- Win a CGWorkshops course worth $649 US plus heaps of other goodies in our exclusive CGSociety competition
- Enhance your character creation workflow with our 6-page guide to creating realistic skin and scales in ZBrush
- Animating in Unity: Passion Pictures reveals its window-smashing, wall-bursting, havoc-wreaking real-time animation
- Is your career heading in the right direction? Learn what skills you need to succeed in our helpful feature
- Take your characters to new heights in our 'Back to basics' tutorial for Maya – complete with project files
- Master Rigidbody simulation in Unity with Erland Korner's guide to animating a stampede – also with project files aplenty
- Tackle smoke effects in Blender with Filippo Veniero's 6-step guide for realistic results
- Grab priceless compositing tips from arch-vis professional Viktor Fretyan. Get better-looking results in 6 steps!
- Sculpt for free in Sculptris with our first tutorial for the free software. First steps: create a basic head while exploring brushes
- We review a beast of a machine: the Magnetar M32. Discover this high-end, super-quick workstation featuring the new K5000
- We check out HDR Light Studio to see how this powerful interactive solution lives up when its put through its paces
- Windows 8. What does it mean for 3D artists? We find out this issue…
- Pascal Blanche reveals the hidden secrets of his decade-old Mermaid character in our retrospective 'I made this' article
- Fancy learning more about motion design? We look at SCAD's acclaimed Motion Media Design program for 3D artists
- Gnomon Studio shares the secrets of its 'UFO Over Santa Clarita' CG film – it looks good enough to make us 'believe'!
- Pixcells lets us peek into the workings of its arch-vis design studio and gives insight into its latest high-profile collaboration
- Pro matte-painting artist Jaime Jasso allows us a glance at the life of a matte painter at Industrial Light & Magic
- Our pick of the best images around: a stunning gallery of the team's hot picks from artists the world over
- After searching far and wide to find the latest happenings in the 3D community, we bring you the lowdown
- Check out what's happening in the world of 3D printing with our highlights of events, projects and new tech
- The readers talk back in our regular letters page for a chance to win a Digital-Tutors subscription
- 3D Artist mag readers strut their stuff in the 3D Artist Online Gallery showcase – are you among them?
- Plus find out all the latest industry news, product launches and more!
Free with this issue...
Over $2,500 US worth of freebies, including:
- Vue 10 Frontier full 3D software, courtesy of e-on Software
- 50 high-quality 3D models from respect suppliers
- 50 handmade, ready-to-use textures from GameTextures
- Free Vue terrain plus material from D&D Creations
- Digital Tutors' video tuition for Vue enthusiasts
- Plus find magazine tutorial files* to follow along with the magazine, including tutorial screenshots, Maya scene files and video references, Unity project files, a Blender scene file, animations and more
*Note: While digital readers won't get the full CD hoard, all magazine tutorial files are available at www.3dartistonline.com/news/tutorial-files